Saturday, March 13, 2010

Anthony Goicolea - Search Party, 2007

Anthony Goicolea | Search Party | 2007 | Graphite, Ink, Acrylic on Mylar

I spent a few weeks last spring in Louisville, Kentucky, the cloudiest place on Earth. It's a gray state, every time I've ever visited Kentucky it's been cloudy and dreary. When the sun did come out, it seemed like everything was taking a sunbath to clean the gray off, and things looked a little less dismal. I think that happened once, while I was driving through the countryside with a joint.
One day during my stay I decided to take a walk through downtown to kill some time. I was with my fiance, and predictably, it began to rain, so we ducked into the 21c Museum Hotel. We spent a few hours wandering around and this piece really caught my eye. There's so much going on; at first it looks whimsical and lighthearted, then after your eye begins to process the image do you realize the sinister scene that is being presented. It's been stuck in my head ever since.

No comments:

Post a Comment